December 3, 2009

I was a 15 year old whore, according to some dude.

So I was writing another post and I got struck by the gods with inspiration to tell you about this one incident.

Imagine it: a moonlit night, brisk, a few years ago. I was wearing a green, loose turtleneck, I think khakis, a bandanna, and sandals because I don't wear anything else.

Anyway, it was me and my dad at my house, late at night, and dad decides we should go to the Store for something to eat. I don't really want to go but he coerces me, and we're both night owls, so out we go.

This store is about a 10-15 minute walk and we were both pretty sprightly then--I was about 15 and my dad was, er, healthy. So we go down there and we're talking and debating what to buy as I didn't really have any money and neither did he, but I decided I wanted some incense and they had it for cheap. We get to the store, he tries to "secretly" snatch a beer (using my money) and there's a guy next to us at the counter. He's talking to my dad and I hear, "Is she with you?" as I'm buying my incense not really paying attention.

Suddenly, dad is inexplicably pissed and we're rushing from the store. I'm guessing it was the man so I ask, "What happened?"

"Hell nawl!" dad shouts. "Don't wurboutit."

"What happened?" I'm begging now.

He then explains that the man thought I was one of "dem women" and dad set him right after some death threats (where I get it from). The parts click in my mind and I lol and lol some more.

I tell mom in the morning and we both lol and lol a bit more then feel really disturbed.

Are you kidding me? I LOOK 12 regardless of my actual age (black don't crack and what not) and this guy mistook me for a prostitute? Because I was buying incense? Hells no!

Well, I suppose the incident is actually retroactively creepy now because at the time it was so inconceivable that I would look like a sex worker. It's also awful that it happened when I was that young and hasn't happened again since, that I know of.

blog comments powered by Disqus