December 2, 2009

We're a couple of misfits!

Okay everyone I have to do yet another fluff post and assail you with a video.

So, I don't officially celebrate Christmas anymore mostly because I've always just thought it was a weird holiday. Even getting presents on "Jesus's birthday" was just...strange to me. And you wonder how I became atheist! That's me, always thinkin'.

But, just because I don't celebrate the season certainly doesn't mean I don't watch the movies. One of my favorite movies to watch is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, the Rankin & Bass version. I actually kinda love all their holiday specials (well, almost all, did you see the St Patrick's Day one? No, no you didn't).

As you might guess, I was all about the "misfit" theme with Rudolph, Hermie, and of course the Island of Misfit Toys. Why were they on the Island? They were unloved! *sad face, awwwwww from audience*

Here is probably the song that defined my young life:



If you're not familiar, Hermie is the little blonde elf that pops up in the snow first. You see, Hermie wants to be a dentist--except elves in the North Pole are supposed to be toy makers. Hermie is an outcast and basically keeps fucking up the toys and music numbers (except his own) until the head elf fires him, and Hermie decides to run away to live out his dream. Rudolph, being ostracized like the song says, has also decided to run away and the two meet up and sing, then go off to have wacky adventures.

Do what you must to see this movie if you haven't.

Transcript by me, I'm pretty certain it's accurate.
I snagged the lyrics from here :D
with a few alterations.

Intro

Hermie: Oh! Is this...your snow bank?

Rudolph: No...who are you?

Hermie: Well actually, I am a dentist!

Rudolph: A..."den-tist"?

Hermie: Well I want to be, someday. Right now I'm just an elf. [beat] But I don't need anybody! I'm...! I'm independent!

Rudolph: Yeah? Me too! I'm...whatever you said--"in-de-pen-dent"!

[Tree ornaments crash]

Hermie: Hey, whaddya say we both be independent together, huh?

Rudolph: You wouldn't mind my... [nose glows, makes a whistling noise] red nose?

Hermie: Not if you don't mind me being a dentist?

Rudolph: It's a deal!

[song starts]



Together: We're a couple of misfits
We're a couple of misfits
What's the matter with misfits
That's where we fit in!

We're not daffy and dilly
Don't go 'round willy nilly
Seems to us kinda silly
That we don't fit in.

We may be different from the rest
Who decides the test
Of what is really best?

We're a couple of misfits
We're a couple of misfits
What's the matter with misfits
That's where we fit in!

Rudolph: Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nit wit!
I'm a deer, I'm a reindeer
Why don't I fit in?

Hermie: Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nit wit!
They can't fire me,
I QUIT!
Seems I don't fit in!

Together: We may be different from the rest
Who decides the test
Of what is really best?

We're a couple of misfits
We're a couple of misfits
What's the matter with misfits
That's where we fit in!

blog comments powered by Disqus