December 6, 2009

Let me tell you something about "reality"

Okay, this actually wouldn't let me sleep so here I go:

I know I joke with y'all sometimes but I get the feeling y'all think I live in some ~fantasy world~ where everything goes right and I do what I like without consequences. Like I don't live in reality or something.

That's not the case.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm starting to wish people would stop patronizing me and treating me like I'm a total idiot/ditz/child. I don't even project that image most of the time.

Let me tell you something about myself:

I'm funny. I know I am, I try to be humorous--if you pay attention, it's usually just how I cope through life. Not that everything is a joke but if I can find some dark humor I'll take it. I like to laugh more than cry.

This doesn't mean I'm some hyperactive woman child for your amusement. When it's time to get serious, I get serious. Suddenly it's all "Oh shit she actually knows something!" No, I'm actually fairly intelligent and competent, I just don't like to show it around everyone.

You might be saying, "Well if you want people to take you seriously then be serious!" That's not solely true. I don't know if it's by virtue of being black, female, both or all three but it seems to be an uphill climb to get folks to take me seriously.So I quit trying and it's at your own behest. Being a major in liberal arts does not make me totally incompetent in other areas so leave me the fuck alone.

Speaking of my major, the next person that tells me there's no money in majoring in English is going to get cut. No jokes though, for real I'm tired of this shit. Not to mention that it's not expressly true but I. Fucking. Know. Already. I get it, I'm going to work at McDonald's the rest of my life because my chosen diploma is essentially useless today.

Surprise, I don't actually care at this point! I'm essentially tricking on the government's dime and as long as I'm done in 4-5 years. No I'm not planning to be a teacher either. You know what, actually leave me the hell alone because my major is my business. It's tough to find a job if you're a damn nuclear scientist, if I were worried about that I'd have probably skipped university altogether. I'm trying to do something I'm good at and is actually worth my time.

Jesus Lord if I had a nickel for every person that has told me about their friend that can't find a job because of their English degree I'd single handedly end the fucking recession.

I do actually live in the real world, y'all, that's why I turn to fantasy so often--I know it's tough. I know I'm going to have to deal with some shit in my life that's probably tougher than irritating college professors, but I also live in the present not the fucking future (sometimes the past though). Thanks for your concern but I'm alright. I'm not actually mad, either, I'm just sayin'.

Okay now I have to go to sleep, or try anyway.

blog comments powered by Disqus