March 9, 2008

You depress me Natgeo...

So, I've been looking forward to watching this Nat. Geo special called Aftermath: Population Zero. It's on right now and will probably replay a few times before being put out to pasture...

Anyway, it's basically a...let's say "hypodocumentary" or hypothetical documentary speculating how it would be if every single human on the planet just up and disappeared. Why did they disappear? Who knows. Will they be back? Again, no clue. Why the hell are they doing this special? I wish I knew.

So far it's been horribly depressing. It's been mostly about animals running around willynilly and acting as nature intended. Power has shut down and buildings are a-crumbling, and nuclear fires are blazing...because, you know, humans are so inconsiderate we didn't shut anything down before we left.

Oh, now a nuclear plant just exploded. Radiation equal to so many Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombs. And the world just got coated with delicious choco--er, I mean...deadly shite with half-lives of god knows what. Plants/forests are dying. You'd think it was the fucking end of the dinosaurs or something.

So, I'm starting to get the general gist of this program despite only watching for about 20 minutes (it's 2 hours long, geez). Alright, so even when we're not there humans can fuck something up.

I'm so tired of National Geographic getting all preachy and stuff. Yes, yes, we need to care more about the environment and all that jazz. But what, exactly, is the focus of "suddenly humans abandon earth and everything goes straight to Hell"? I don't get it. Is this more eco-propaganda? Was this funded by Al Gore? Should I switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs?

The tone has switched from animals and just nosedived into "alright, shit's blown up and stuff is dying". I'm gonna give this like...little less than an hour, and it either better start livening up or making some sense, or I'm going to turn the channel and pluck my eyes out toothpicks.

Although, for some reason this reminds me of the poem "Ozymandias" by P. B Shelley (yes, we're close like that). I guess it was seeing all mankind's greatest objects, according to this special, crumble in basically a few weeks time. Also, I want to feel intelligent for a moment:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
But now it's back on the animals and suddenly dogs are hunting giraffes and it's like radiation never happened or...something. This thing isn't really going chronologically, just "in a few days/months/weeks/hours" and what not. Oh look, now it's winter! Those animals sure are done for! Ugh...

0 had something to add:

Post a Comment

Please share some knowledge. Or amuse me at least :O