April 17, 2009

Song for a Dark Girl

I was stumbling a bit for poetry as we near the end of National Poetry Awareness Month (aka April), so I decided to fall back on Langston Hughes. I was reading Song For a Black Girl in class while tuning out my prof talking about Faulkner and thought about it, then I read this post from Stuff White People Do and decided it was a good thing. You'll see why in a moment.

As a side note, I have no idea why it's so hard for folks to accept that their savior might be a person of color. Oh wait, I think I know.

Anyway, have a poem/song:

Song for a Dark Girl

Way Down South in Dixie
(Break the heart of me)
They hung my black young lover
To a cross roads tree.

Way Down South in Dixie
(Bruised body high in air)
I asked the white Lord Jesus
What was the use of prayer.

Way Down South in Dixie
(Break the heart of me)
Love is a naked shadow
On a gnarled and naked tree.

blog comments powered by Disqus