April 3, 2009

ETSU's great race survey

Blogging from school everyone. Shh, I can't afford to be seen with radicals.

Edit: Fixed formatting. I still think it's stupid.

I just noticed an email from the school...well...just read it:

Mandatory New Federal Ethnicity and Race Information Collection

Changes to federal requirements for collecting ethnicity and race information require ETSU to resurvey all students, faculty, and staff for this information.

Beginning Monday, April 6, 2009, all users (students, faculty, and staff) are required to log in to GoldLink and provide the following information:


1. Ethnic Category



Do you consider yourself to be of Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin?

· Yes

· No



2. Race Category



Select one or more of the following racial categories to describe yourself.

· White

· Black or African American

· Asian

· American Indian

· Alaskan Native

· Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander

Once this information is submitted, users will return to regular GoldLink services and will not be asked for this information again.

Thank you in advance for participating in this required federal survey,

Offices of Human Resources and Enrollment Services

East Tennessee State University




....What?! NO SIR.

That survey is stupid stupid stupid! What the fuck is an "American Indian"? Why do I have to provide info on any Latin@ ancestory? Explain to me the differences between Latino, Hispanic, AND Spanish (LOL)? Why am I black OR african american like I have a choice? Why so few racial categories? Why no European? If I'm Russian am I Asian or White? Why is this information needed?!

After being called a negro by that stupid student census, the government is going to have to come to my dorm room and A) Deliver an apology B) Ask me nicely with cookies and root beer to fill out anything else ever again! I refuse! I am NOT participating in this fuckery!

blog comments powered by Disqus