March 6, 2009

Michael Jackson's ghosts

Yep, I'm going to go there real quick in light of Michael's supposed...what. Final concert? Comeback tour? Final concert AND comeback tour? Eh? I'm not even totally sure what's going on.

I have to say though, my opinion of Jackson used to be super harsh but I've come to feel for the man. Feel bad for him, even awful. Not from being a rabid fan but just looking at him as a human being. I KNOOOW you've seen that Jackson 5 special at least fifty-levin times. Whether it really changed your mind or not is a different story though *shrug* I will admit that it helped to change mine.

Yeah yeah, we've all got our different thoughts. Is he or isn't he, did he or didn't he. What the hell is wrong with that man changing his face & look so drastically. Do you look at the "Thriller" cover and just think "What the fuck happened?" Shit, you're not alone. Who do we blame? Is it society's fault--our fault really--his family, or is he really just "wacko jacko"? Bunch of questions and bunch of answers we've heard before.

I think Michael's one of those rare cases, for me, where I can just about fully separate the artist from his art. That's really not an easy task and you should definitely try it (that is, if you haven't). Your art is a part of you, your put your heart & soul into it, it IS you. That's how it's supposed to be, I don't care if you're Robert Johnson or Jackson Pollock or a pop tart (not the icky pastry). Jackson's a different case, I think. Naturally as he got older and got more control of his bidness more of himself seeped into his music and you can tell. His videos, the singles. But why is it so easy to set him aside and say "THIS is Michael" and then "THAT is not"? It's a mystery for another day.

I've been on a Michael Jackson binge since earlier this week because I have dreams of choreographing a Thriller music video using my friends, blog readers & twitter followers. You all just escaped because I couldn't figure out how to purchase a mass of Blackberries in bulk at the last minute. Sigh.

Anyway, do you remember...Ghosts? It was almost the 90s version of Thriller, or it was trying to be. The problem was Thriller was a completely detached zombie dance gem of awesomeness, whereas Ghosts, as it turns out, was so psychologically personal it's almost disturbing now when I look at the whole thing, and that wasn't on accident of course.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Oh well. That's enough of that I suppose, we can always get back to Michael a later date. The good news is, it's FRIDAY! And it's National Women's History Month y'all :D *ahem* maybe I can do this a little better than Black History Awareness Month.

blog comments powered by Disqus