January 8, 2009

Superman & Reliving Me Childhood

So lately I've been on a bit of a DC kick. Like major. It's strange and fun.

But if you're wondering, it's not the comics I'm after, it's the shows. The cartoons.

I've been watching Batman: The Animated Series and Superman TAS an awful lot lately. I watched those shows when I was younger and they're just as bad ass. I've also been watching Justice League/Unlimited but that's some other stuff.

Anyway, why? Nostalgia? Sure. The fact that Bruce Timm is awesome? That too. The engaging story lines, great action all packed into 20 minutes. Of course.

Lately it's been occurring to me why I do these things in spurts. Why do I turn to super heroes every so once in a while. Old movies & TV shows I remember, westerns I used to watch with my dad. Escape? Perhaps. Reliving my child hood?

I hate looking back on the past. I have to be one of the few people in the world that, if offered to go back in time and relive some portion of my life, I'd probably declare a "HELL NO!" and a "Good DAY sir!" The memories hurt and I try to avoid them as much as possible. I don't recommend this evasive strategy, it kinda sucks and leads up to all kinds of issues. And yet it's so popular, but anyway.

Reliving child hood through these old shows (not THAT old but whichever) it can be...fun. I don't think about when I was 5, 6, 7 when I giddily watch the Joker cause mayhem. I don't think of my dad when I watch the Rifleman and his impossible gun. It's...strange and yet I can understand it.

I mean, there's really a bunch of reasons, nostalgia probably being the link between all of them...I don't miss my days as a child at all, I guess there's nothing wrong with missing aspects of it. Shows, toys, clothes, movies...all those good things. Sigh.

0 had something to add:

Post a Comment

Please share some knowledge. Or amuse me at least :O