October 30, 2008

Nigga please--I mean oops.

Lawl. Okay, I'm going to cut down on the race tirades for a while. I hate feeling like I'm stuck on one subject even if it's important to me, and I don't want to distress/alienate anyone with my new-found racism :P If I've offended anyone I apologize, I kinda do this in cycles. I try to...connect issues broadly. Sometimes the things that happen to blacks also happen to gays, whites, whales, whatever.

I will say that for some reason white people getting offended at the word "nigga" just cracks me up for some reason. Me and my room mate just had this convo (long story) for a brief period and I just fucked with her head. She couldn't explain to me why she didn't like the word.

"So you don't like it and..."

"...and I'm white."

"Yeah."

I mean, she can be offended if she wants of course. I just think it's weird considering the white person's history with the word nigga/nigger no? Sometimes I feel like whites are just uncomfortable because they know they can't say it but some people are genuinely offended by it and I just think, "Eh? Why?"

It's a little narrow-minded on my part I guess. Al I can see is my ancestors being verbally abused by someone considerably whiter than them. I mean, should whites even have a say in who can say nigga and who can't? I swear whites are the only ones that make a big deal about racial epithets (well, that and minorities--okay I fucked up my own point). I still think some of them don't even fully understand why white people can't say nigga in the first place. Or any racial slur.

Anyway, I have a warped sense of humor anyway. I kept pressing her about it and she was giggling but I could tell she was uncomfortable with my pressing the issue (even if in a joking manner) but I was LOL'ing. Yeah, I know, I'm being unnecessarily mean. You have to understand that whether she knows it or not I'm still quite miffed at her so I care less than usual. I just take all kinds of advantage of my race sometimes.

Okay, okay, I'll tone it down now :D

1 comment:

  1. I don't like the word in large part because when I was growing up, the only people I know who used it were ignorant and sometimes violent racists. I grew up in a little town where the KKK would openly pass out pamphlets on the street corner. So I equate the "n" word with burning crosses, lynchings and violent ignorance.

    You're wrong that white people are the only people who don't like the word. I personally know a lot of non-white people who despise that word and other racial slurs. Most tend to be 40+ years old and/or college educated.

    ReplyDelete

Please share some knowledge. Or amuse me at least :O