June 6, 2008

Tomie



So, in my quest for things to do, I have been making my way through most of the Tomie movie series.

Tomie, if you don't know, is like Japanese for "Immortal Psycho Bitch" or something because that's what she is. Tomie is the girl who can't die, doomed to constantly drive men wild with her beauty and women insane with jealousy until they just ban together to kill her crazy self. Only, like I said, bitch won't die, no matter how much you burn her or how many parts you cut her up into. Such is love.

Tomie was originally a popular manga series by the guy that brought us the great Japanese hororr flick, Uzumaki, Junji Ito. I'd actually like to get into the manga series if I ever win the lottery, but for now I'll watch the films on bootleg.

In some sort of order, I've watched the first movie, Tomie; it's sort of sequel, Tomie: Replay, Tomie: Beginning which is more of a prequel, and now I'm looking at Tomie: Re-birth, which...is just there I guess. As of right now I think there are 7 films in all, giving American grown favorites like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street a run for their money in terms of longevity.

The problem with the series, as it is with Jason & Freddy, is the formula will eventually get stale after a while. The plot is essentially the same for every movie with a few exceptions: Tomie is reborn somewhere from a random limb (she can regenerate from ANYTHING), makes some guys obsessed with her (and probably some women mad at her), she gets her man cronies to kill some people off and is ultimately killed and taken apart, buried. Except she winds up coming back because SHE WON'T DIE, DON'T YOU PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO THE POOR SUCKERS BEFORE YOU?

That being said, it doesn't mean the movies aren't fun. Most of them so far seem to suffer from poor pacing (especially the first) and blah storytelling. But in all, if you've got nothing better to do and you enjoy seeing a pretty girl kill some fools off like I do, then it's a pretty good series. I know I'm liking it, even though it's best not to watch all the movies at one time or else you'll go irretrievably mad for Tomie.

Powered by ScribeFire.

0 had something to add:

Post a Comment

Please share some knowledge. Or amuse me at least :O