June 2, 2009

Dick Cheney Supports Gay Marriage. Did I just...type that?

Well! If you're still hewing and hawing on gay rights you officially don't have an excuse anymore. Even Dick Cheney doesn't like you. Terrifying!


Cheney backs gay marriage, calls it a state issue

WASHINGTON - Former Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday he supports gays being able to marry but believes states, not the federal government, should make the decision.

"I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone," Cheney said in a speech at the National Press Club. "I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish, any kind of arrangement they wish."

Cheney, who has a gay daughter, said marriage has always been a state issue.

"And I think that's the way it ought to be handled today, that is, on a state-by-state basis. Different states will make different decisions. But I don't have any problem with that. I think people ought to get a shot at that," he said.

Okay, so if you're like me you're probably saying well it'd be awful weird if he had a gay daughter and didn't support gay marriage. But again you'd also know that happens a lot, actually. You're also probably thinking his support is nice but it's a little shakey depending on how you want to view the issue. I personally am not that comfortable making it a state's rights issue because...um...I live in TN? You know how we roll with that state's rights shit? *cough civil war*

In any case, on the other hand you could say making it a state's rights issue is working and it'll eventually just...work no? Hell you're probably just amazed that Dick Cheney got up and more or less firmly said "Gays? Marry? Sure why not." I mean goddamn. Where am I? Is it 2012 or 2009? Do I care?

Speaking of which, welcome to Gay Pride month. I don't really have any fun gay activities planned, I'll probably make you feel bad about being gay at some point though.

blog comments powered by Disqus