February 26, 2009

That's too conflicty, let's not discuss it

So, while I was working on revising my race & hip hop post I went off on a bit of a tangent and decided that, instead of bogging my taste of fame down with it, I just...made another post. Coz I do that! It's not very much, but really, you know what I'm tired of? Inconsistency.

I'm a lazy bastard and often times, admittedly, I don't like a lot of confrontation. SOMEtimes. Then there are sometimes I just don't care, like when it's something important to me. There are just some conversations that need to be had. So it annoys me a little bit (read: a lot) when folks try to wiggle out of conversation claiming it's "too divisive".

It's actually bigger than that though. When people decide to just flat out IGNORE issues because, as they claim, it's too conflicty for them. This is rather self-defeating and conflicts with the good ol' American way of individualism and bootstrap-y-ness. When you dodge things and suggest that if we just ignore them they'll go away, do you realize what you're saying?

Let's take our other favorite topic, queerness. I want to say homosexuality but I think queerness is more encompassing in this case. But let's start with gays. You have folks on either side--pro gay and anti gay. They fight. But have you ever heard the people that basically plug their ears and claim that it's way too divisive and we shouldn't even talk about it? I wonder if these folks can hear what they're saying, sometimes, and realize how stupid they sound.

"Divisive" is not an excuse. Everything is "divisive" one way or another and sweeping it under the bed like it isn't there is just self-defeating. The issue doesn't vanish, it swells like a wound. You probably didn't even know you had that wound until one day it gets infected and it itches and hurts, and suddenly you have to DO something about it or bye-bye limb, no? (Then of course you have the people that just say "Fuck it" and cut the limb off...soooo...)

It's a silly mentality. Nothing is just going to vanish into thin air because you say it is, but at the same time if we keep talking about it, it's not going to go away either. Until you fix it. So what to do, what to do...

Me, personally, I'm off to write more kinky short stories and eat. It's productive!

0 had something to add:

Post a Comment

Please share some knowledge. Or amuse me at least :O