August 11, 2008

10 Mistakes Writers Don't See

But can easily fix :P

I've seen lists like this before; you see them in books sometimes and just kinda...circulating around. I literally just randomly came across this list and was ready to pass it off as a "GOD I KNOW ALREADY" deal. The thing about reading these "common mistakes" list is they're usually damn lengthy and kinda boring. And tend to kinda run together.

I liked this list a little more because it's long but it makes a point and gets to it, goes in depth without becoming horribly dry, it's pretty concise, gives fair examples of what to do and what not to do, and actually brings up a couple of common mistakes that I never thought of before (but now it's soooo obvious). For example, flat writing. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty guilty of both flat writing and exceeeeessive prose. I am the master of passive voice. Lately I've been finding more of a compromise between balls-out ridiculous metaphors and "working man's prose".

I took a good look at this list and read it, gave it some thought, and went back into my current story and began editing in earnest. And indeed it is easy to fix a lot of these common errors and when you see them it's like "DUH how did I miss that?!"

Ah, I'm really glad I found this list :D

0 had something to add:

Post a Comment

Please share some knowledge. Or amuse me at least :O